The school bus is an extension of the classroom, consequently most of the rules that apply to the classroom should be observed on the bus. The driver is in charge of the bus. Failure to observe the driver’s request or willful neglect of other rules that endanger the safety of those on board may result in temporary or permanent suspension of bus riding privileges.
PROPER BUS RIDING CONDUCT
1. Riders must remain seated at all times except when entering or leaving the bus. Riders must have the driver’s permission to change seats.
2. Drivers may assign seats when he/she deems it necessary.
3. Loud conversations, shouting, singing, obscene language or gestures not normally suited to a classroom environment will not be tolerated.
4. Horseplay, fighting, scuffling, teasing, or any other disturbance which may distract the driver is prohibited.
5. Riders shall promptly obey any reasonable request of the driver.
6. Riders shall not extend any part of their body or any object out of the bus window.
7. Riders shall not throw objects including paper or trash, within the bus or out of the windows.
8. Band instruments or other items which would block the aisle or driver’s vision will not be allowed on the bus unless these items can be carried on the student’s lap.
9. Glass objects, knives, water and cap pistols, firearms or weapons, fire works, or other items creating a safety hazard will not be permitted on the bus.
10. The use of tobacco or alcohol in any form or the lighting of matches or lighters will not be permitted on the bus.
11. Riders shall stay out of the driver’s seat and may not tamper with any of the operating equipment or emergency door.
12. Riders will not be allowed to eat or drink on the bus. This includes gum chewing and eating candy.
13. Riders shall be on time to board the bus. The bus will not wait for those who are tardy.
14. Radios, compact disk and/or tape players will be prohibited on regular routes in the same manner they are prohibited in the school buildings.
RULES FOR BUS RIDERS
The following rules are posTed on each bus. They are a condensed version of the above.
1. REMAIN IN YOUR SEAT
2. NO SHOUTING, SINGING, OBSCENE GESTURES OR LANGUAGE
3. NO HORSEPLAY, FIGHTING, SCUFFLING, OR TEASING
4. OBEY THE BUS DRIVER’S REQUEST
5. KEEP BODY PARTS AND ANY OTHER OBJECTS INSIDE THE BUS
6. DO NOT THROW TRASH OR OBJECTS
7. GLASS OBJECTS, KNIVES, WATER OR CAP PISTOLS, AND WEAPONS OR FIREARMS ARE PROHIBITED
8. THE USE OF TOBACCOR OR ALCOHOL IN ANY FORM WILL NOT BE PERMITTED
9. STAY OUT OF THE DRIVERS’ SEAT AND DO NOT TAMPER WITH BUS CONTROLS OR THE EMERGENCY DOOR
10. NO EATING OR DRINKING ON BUS. THIS INCLUDES GUM CHEWING
11. BE ON TIME
12. NO RADIOS OR CASSETTE PLAYERS ON REGULAR ROUTES
13. KEEP YOUR HANDS AND FEET OUT OF THE AISLES AND TO YOURSELF
14. YOU AND YOUR PARENT SHOULD BE FAMILIAR WITH THE PARENT/STUDENT TRANSPORTATION HANDBOOK. THIS IS GIVEN TO YOU AT ENROLLMENT
OTHER RULES FOR SAFE BUS CONDUCT
1. Keep off the road while waiting to board the bus. Give the driver space to pull the bus as far to the right as possible.
2. Never attempt to enter or leave the bus until it has come to a complete stop.
3. Pushing or shoving will not be tolerated while boarding or leaving the bus.
4. Riders may talk in a normal voice to seat mates. No shouting or loud talking is allowed as it may distract the driver.
5. No pets or animals are permitted on the bus.
6. In cold weather, riders should bring adequate clothing to cope in an emergency.
FAILURE TO FOLLOW ANY OF THE ABOVE RULES MAY RESULT IN THE FOLLOWING CONSEQUENCES
Will result in a bus conduct report being written and filed with the principal.
Will result in a bus conduct report being written and filed with the principal. Parents will be involved in conference with student. Next violation will result in temporary bus suspension.
Will result in a bus conduct report filed with the principal. Parents will be notified that the rider has been suspended from riding the bus for three (3) or more school days. Rider must attend school equal to the number of days suspended before regaining bus riding privileges.
Will result in a bus conduct report filed with the principal. Parents will be notified that the rider has been suspended from riding the bus for five (5) or more school days. Rider must attend school equal to the number of days suspended before regaining bus riding privileges.
Will result in a bus conduct report filed with principal. Parents will be notified that rider has been suspended from riding the bus for the remainder of the current year. Elementary riders (K-6) may at the discretion of the principal be allowed to resume bus riding privileges after a specific length of time off the bus. This will be determined by the principal with feedback from the Transportation Department.
The administrator in charge may choose to skip one or more of the above steps for extremely serious or dangerous violations such as fighting, threats, carrying firearms or other weapons, fire, or any student behavior that causes a safety problem or distracts the bus driver.
BUS DRIVERS MAY BE ASKED TO ATTEND CONFERENCES AT ANY LEVEL