Registration Questions & Answers
1. How does online registration work?
Online registration will open July 1, 2019. Parents/guardians of student who completed the 2017-2018 school year with PCPS, must have an account in the PowerSchool Parent Portal to complete online registration for their student(s). Once logged into the Parent Portal (accessed from the PowerSchool link on the district website, www.pcps.us, parents/guardians will have the ability to update information for their student(s) including addresses, telephone numbers, emergency contacts and other information. Registration can be completed, although not recommended, on an iPad, iPhone or other SMART device through the device's brower. Registration cannot be completed through the PowerSchool App. State and district-required forms must be updated annually for each student enrolled in PCPS for 2019-2020.
Certain information can only be updated by district personnel. All district-required forms are now part of the online process. In some cases, parents/guardians will be required to provide documentation to the Registration Center, 111 W. Grand Avenue, to complete registration. If you do not need to provide required documentation, your student's registration is complete and no further action is needed.
2. I do not have a PowerSchool Parent Portal account. How do I get one?
It was a requirement that parent/guardians of 2019-2020 PCPS students create a Parent Portal account. If you previously created an account and do not remember your username/password, please use the links on the Parent Portal log in page to help you retrieve this information. Contact the Registration Center for assistance if you are unable to retrieve the information. Usernames and password will not be reset over the phone.
If you do not have Parent Portal account because you are new to PCPS, please follow the instructions to create an account. Creating an account does not register your student. You will need to go to the Registration Center to complete the process. Please refer to the required documentations list for the documents to take with you.
3. My child attended PCPS during the 2018-2019 school year, but did not finish the school year. They will be returning for the 2019-2020 school year, but I can't log on with the Parent Portal account that I had previously.
Students who did not finish the 2018-2019 school year with PCPS are inactive in PowerSchool, our student information system. It is not possible to log in to an inactive account. Parents/guardians will need to go to the Registration Center during summer registration hours to complete registration. It is not recommended that parents create a new Parent Portal account if they had one previously.
4. When does online registration begin?
Online registration will open July 1, 2019. If you are required to furnish any required documents, or if you need access to a computer, you will do so at the Registration Center during summer registration hours.
5. I do not have a computer. How can I register my student online?
The Registration Center will have computer stations available during summer registration hours and during make-up registration. Additional staff has been hired during summer registration hours to assist when if needed. It is highly recommended that parents/guardians register their student(s) during the regular summer registration hours. Staffing will be limited during make-up registration that may result in longer wait times. The hours of the Registration Center can be found on the district website.
6. I have a child registered for the 2019-2020 school year; however, I have another child who will be NEW to the district in 2019-2020 and who is not registered. Do I need to create another Parent Portal account?
No. You can log into your existing Parent Portal account and "Create a New Student." Keep in mind that with all new students, documentation must be presented to the Registration Center before your child's registration is considered complete.
7. Once I have registered my child online, do I need to go to the Registration Center?
In some cases, yes. You will need to go to the Registration Center:
- If your student is entering kindergarten through fifth (5th) grade, proof of residence must be provided to the Registration Center before your child is considered registered for the 2019-2020 school year. We do not require proof of residence for students entering grades 6-12.
- If your child is entering kindergarten or 7th grade, proof of current immunizations must be provided due to the requirement of additional immunizations for these grade levels. An exception would be if proof of current immunizations was provided to your child's school before the end of the 2018-2019 school year. A student is not considered registered and will not be assigned a class until required documentation has been presented to the Registration Center.
8. I will be out of town during the dates of registration. What do I need to do to register my child?
Parents/guardians can access the Parent Portal beginning July 1 to register online. If you are not required to provide any documents such as proof of residence or current immunizations, once you complete the online registration process, your child is registered for the 2019-2020 school year. If you are required to provide documents, such as proof of residence or an immunization record, take the required documents to the Registration Center beginning August 6. Keep in mind that your child will not be considered registered for the 2019-2020 school year until those documents are provided.
9. I previously completed registration (i.e., Pre-K students, students entering from private schools, etc.) for my child for 2019-2020. Is it necessary to register online?
Private school students: Private school students have completed course requests for the upcoming school year but are not registered. Private school students are treated as new students to the district. Parent/guardians can create a Parent Portal account, but registration is not complete until required documents are submitted to the Registration Center and the online process completed.
PreK students: Parent/guardians who pre-registered their PreK student do not need to take any action; however, we strongly encourage parents to create an account since it is required for future registrations.
10. I have turned in an in-district transfer request for my elementary student. Will I know at registration if my transfer has been approved?
No; the elementary transfer meeting will be conducted after the two-week registration window in July. After the transfer meeting, site principals will call and inform parents of the status of their transfer request. If you have not registered your student for the 2019-2020 school year, or if you have not completed registration by July 18, the application for transfer will not be considered.
11. Why is the Registration Center closed after July 18, 2019?
The Registration Center staff will need time to process the completed online registrations. It will also allow time to determine class sizes at the elementary sites in preparation for the in-district transfer meeting. The two-week registration window in July is more than sufficient to accommodate individuals who need access to a computer or who need to provide documents to complete their child's registration. Any elementary student not registered by July 18 will not be included when determining class sizes.
12. Will I need to go to my child's site in August to register?
No, registration will not be held at the individual sites. All students will register online through the Parent Portal account.
13. My child goes to one of the middle schools/high school. Will I be able to pick up their schedule at registration?
Class schedules for secondary students will not be distributed at the Registration Center. The Registration Center also does not do schedule changes. Visit the district website at www.pcps.us and click on Enrollment to view the dates and times schedules will be available. Students who have NOT completed the online registration process will NOT be permitted to pick up schedules.
14. I live with someone and do not have a utility bill in my name. How do I show proof of residence?
The individual with whom you live will need to accompany you to registration and bring proof of residence.
15. I have stepchildren in the home. Can I register them?
A parent or legal guardian is required to complete the online signature page on required documents.
16. I do not have the required documents. Can I still complete my child's registration?
You can log on to the Parent Portal and begin the online registration process; however, until all required documents have been submitted to the Registration Center, your student is not considered registered for the 2019-2020 school year. Students who are missing required documentation will not be assigned to classes, nor will they be permitted to pick up schedules at the secondary sites.
17. I do not have legal custody of the child living with me. Can I register him/her for school?
Yes, only if you provide a copy of the legal guardian's photo ID.
18. My spouse and I are divorced. Why do I need to provide custody/divorce decree to the schools?
Having court-issued custody/divorce decrees on file establishes custodial rights and ensures student safety.
19. My child goes by a name other than their legal name. Can I register my child with this name?
No, school records are legal documents and students must be registered under their legal name.