Vision and Mission Statement
The vision and mission of the Lincoln Elementary Media Center is to ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information. The mission is accomplished by: 1. providing intellectual and physical access to materials in all formats 2. providing instruction to foster competence and stimulate interest in reading, viewing, and using information and ideas 3. working with other educators to meet the needs of students Goals.
The media program will consist of a balanced collection of print materials, non-print materials, multimedia resources, and equipment and supplies to meet the needs of students and staff. The print materials will consist of a substantial fiction and picture book collection. The nonfiction materials will focus on subjects relating to the curriculum including folktales, animals, history, plants, fine arts, poetry, and biographies.
Special collections will include Sequoyah, Newbery, and Caldecott award books. Paperbacks, some with multiple copies, will be available as part of the collection. A reference collection will be accessible to students and staff for use in the library. Computers with Internet access and Accelerated Reader access will be available.
Big books, video cassettes, and books on cassette which meet the needs of the curriculum will be housed in the media center. A professional literature collection will be maintained. The collection will support the curriculum needs, learning needs, and interests of the students and staff.
Goals will be obtained by:
• Providing students and staff opportunities to check out books and materials
• Working with staff to provide reference lessons for students that are integrated with classroom curriculum
• Ordering and processing books and materials that correlate with classroom and state standards
• Teaching media lessons that include author studies, library terminology, etc.
• Maintaining library collection
• Promoting love of reading through read alouds, contests, etc.